Last Known Good Configuration
The Last Known Good Configuration option first appeared in Windows 2000 and was included in all later versions. If you noticed that your operating system started to glitch, particularly after installation of new programs, drivers or configuring system settings, try this option. Last Known Good Configuration is a possible solution to 0xc0000005 error.
How to Use Last Known Good Configuration
When Windows completes booting process, the system configuration which is considered working and “good” is stored in the registry with the possibility to retrieve it later. If current Windows session appears problematic and you remember that the system was running flawlessly during the previous session, you can reverse the changes by enabling the last good settings during startup.
What Should I Know about Last Known Good Configuration before Using It?
- Last Known Good Configuration only restores the information from the following registry key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet. If another registry key was damaged, Last Known Good Configuration won’t help. You should use registry repair software or fix the registry manually.
- Once applied, Last Known Good Configuration option cannot be reversed (unless you used Safe Mode while starting up).
- Last Known Good Configuration option won’t do anything to your personal files (documents, photos, emails stored on your computer). Only system configuration can be affected (the system data stored in the registry). Correspondingly, Last Known Good Configuration cannot restore lost files or fix the damage done by a virus, neither can System Restore. Only specialized recovery programs can help in this situation. Install a recovery program right now, don’t wait for data loss accidents. You are not recommended to install any software on your computer after data loss.
If you are not a computer expert use the following first-aid solution:
- Free Download the Fix for Windows Errors
- This is my favorite tool because it has never failed me so far and fixed 100% of errors I had, including Windows Errors.
- It automatically repairs a wide range of computer problems causing errors, such as Windows Errors and blue screen errors, freezes, .dll and .sys file errors, registry problems, malware and other troubles.
- And, which is critically important at the moment for me, with this tool, I don't even have to upgrade my computer!
- Install the program and launch it.
- Let the program scan your computer and repair the errors.
How to Apply Last Known Good Configuration
- Eject DVDs, CDs, floppy disks.
- Restart your computer and start pressing “F8” Key before Windows logo is displayed.
- Choose the operating system before pressing F8 if you have several OS on your computer.
- When “Windows Advanced Options Menu” appears on the black screen, select the “Last Known Good Configuration” option with the help of arrow keys and press Enter.
If Last Known Good Configuration doesn’t remove system glitches use System Restore function to roll back configuration settings to the point in time when no errors occurred. System Restore changes can be undone.
What if Last Known Good Configuration doesn’t help
If 0xC0000005 still occurs use this all-in-one Windows fix:
Reimage fixes the whole system with the help of a full online database of replacement files. This program is the last resort solution for the cases when all other methods do not work and the cause of 0xC0000005 is still not clear.