Error 0x0000007e 0xc0000005 - How to Fix
STOP 0x0000007e 0xc0000005 is also frequently associated with viruses or system file damage as the two often gp together. If your system has a malware infection, detecting and removing the virus is just a part of the job. Fixing the damage done to the system by a virus is generally a very big problem.
The error typically looks like this:
*** STOP 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
0xc0000005 code, the first parameter in parenthesis implies memory access violation, which, however, does not necessarily mean that you RAM is faulty. Memory issues are frequently result from wrong use of virtual memory by drivers, not just third party but also native system OS drivers. In some instances, updating, fixing, deactivating or removing a problem driver fixes the issue.
Error When Running Antivirus Scan
There are some reported cases of STOP 0x0000007e 0xc0000005 that occurred during antivirus scans. The scanner detects a virus, then the system crashes and then you cannot startup even in Safe Mode. If the the malware was found in temp and Temporary Internet Files folders and one of the detected threats has the name braviax or includes it as a part of its name, make a clean installation of the same version of the OS and copy the files beep.sys and ntfs.sys found in the Drivers folder from the clean system to the faulty system, and try to restart. That should resolve the error.
Recognized Microsoft Product Problems
- Removing an adapter connected to an EMC Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) device without notifying Windows Server 2003 (the so called "surprise removal"). The error is caused by RaidUnitFreeResources request that passes a bad pointer as the first argument to RaidDmaFreeCommonBuffer. The fix is available at the the Microsoft Download Center (838894 package).
Error in Windows XP
- If Make sure you are not running out of disk space have. Insufficient disk space may cause STOP 0x0000007e 0xc0000005 during or after setup.
- BIOS may be outdated or incompatible with your Windows version
- Disable or update any drivers mentioned in the error message. In certain cases, you may be able to start up in Safe Mode, if the driver is not used in the startup process. Otherwise, you will have to use Recovery Console to remove or rename the problem driver. If there is no indication of specific drivers, update video drivers - they are quite often the culprits. If the error still occurs, remove all recently installed drivers and services, unsigned and third-party drivers. If you don't know which ones are third-party drivers, target all that don't have creation date for Windows XP of 8/13/2001. Move them from the folder %Windir%\System32\Drivers to a temporary folder and see if that helps.
- Mentioning Win32k.sys file in the error string may point to third-party remote control services. Specifically, Win32k.sys file points to the problem with a a third-party remote control program. Remove that service and see if STOP 0x0000007e 0xc0000005 error disappears.
- Remove / replace RAM and see if STOP 0x0000007e 0xc0000005 disappears. Faulty memory may sometimes cause STOP 0x0000007e 0xc0000005 .