How to Repair Windows 7?
As a rule, Windows 7 repair method depends on the type of damage done to your system. There are many reasons behind the Windows 7 crashes or error messages. Clean install is probably the most effective method to get a fresh, flawless installation of Windows 7. However, clean install means losing all your programs, settings, user accounts, drivers so reserve this one as a last resort method. We recommend to apply Windows 7 repair methods in the order as they are listed on this page.
How to repair current Windows 7 installation and preserve all the settings, programs, user accounts, drivers, etc?
If you are not a computer expert or don't want to lose all you programs, settings or even data and them waste days of your life on the routine installation procedures, you should to use the following Windows 7 repair solutions:
(Only REAL working solutions, no useless "registry cleaners"!)
Windows 7 appears to be a great alternative to Windows XP. How many times did you have to ask how to repair Windows XP?. Windows 7 is certainly more stable that XP and beats Vista in many ways. However, even the most stable operating systems may need some help on the user side. On this page you can read how to repair Windows 7 installation using different methods and tools.
Windows 7 repair methods listed on this page has certain limitations and downsides which will be explained. Some of them require advanced computer skills and are recommended only to experts!
Last Known Good Configuration
This option was introduced in Windows 2000 and is used in Windows 7. Start tapping F8 at booting, when the black screen with white texts appears. You'll see Advanced Boot Options Menu". Choose Last Known Good Configuration by the means of arrow keys and press enter. Limitations: this options affects only system configuration changes written to following registry key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet.
System Restore option is used to roll back your system to the state it was in a certain point in time, a Restore Point. If you want to use this option make sure your computer is configured to create Restore Points which will be used to restore your system whenever you need it.
Using Command Prompt and sfc command
This one should repair repair windows 7 system files, i.e. "file missing or corrupted" file Window error messages. Attention! Recommended to advanced users only!
- Open command Prompt (Start => All Programs => Accessories => right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator). An alternative way to run command prompt is to type command prompt (or simply cmd) in Start menu search box and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter combination to run it as the administrator.
- If prompted with User Account Control (UAC) box click Yes. Now command prompt will be opened.
- Type sfc /scannow in the commands line and press Enter. This action initiates protected system files integrity scan and then repairs detected problems.
Repair Install is quite a powerful Windows 7 repair option which preserves your programs, some of system drivers and settings. But this methods has a number of downsides and is recommended only when other methods fail:
- First, you need to have Windows 7 installation CD and many users don't have one. Warning: OEM Windows 7 Factory Restore/Recovery disk that was supplied together with your computer is not furnished to do Repair Install, this one can be used only for Clean Install! Don't use it If you want to keep you settings, accounts, programs, etc. A System Repair Disc also does not suit for that purpose.
- If you have 32-bit Windows 7 installed, then you must use a 32-bit Windows 7 installation CD, if you have a 64-bit Windows 7 you must use a 64-bit Windows 7CD.
- If you Windows 7SP1 installed you need either to use a Windows 7 installation CD with SP1 or uninstall SP1 before doing repair install.
- Repair install cannot be done in Safe Mode or at Boot.
- Repair install can be done from within Windows 7 only.
- Repair Install requires at least 8.87 GB of free disk space
- Visual Effects Settings, Sounds, Services will be lost
- Access to MSN Messenger will be lost (this can be regained)
- Custom themes may be lost
- There were cases when Media Center gadget was lost
- And, finally, Repair Install is not foolproof.